Sunday, June 14, 2009

What's the lesson?

A little background.... We attend a church with an average of 50 in attendance, 10 of those are in Primary, ages 2 and a half to 10 years. I am the Primary Pres., nursery leader, primary music director, and ward chorister. I have two counselors that are responsible for teaching the CTR and Valiants. I also have one person to teach sharing time because my Spanish is terrible.

Today went like this.....Three families where in town on vacation and so attended our meetings. They brought 7 kids with them. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but that almost doubles the number of kids. Sacrament is over, I look around and notice my sharing time teacher is not here and one of my counselors/teacher is also missing in action. This will be fun. No sharing time and no CTR class. Ok, everyone to Valiants.....This counselor/teacher has nothing prepared for HER class, no manual, nothing. Take into account there is no library for materials. I rummage through the "Bishops office" I use the term loosely(It's where the tv, computer, key board, and CD player are) and find a Liahona and a Faith in God pamphlet. 15 minutes later she tells me she needs to go home to, wait for it... cook dinner. My eyes just about popped out of my head. Have you ever seen a one man band? Kind of interesting but mostly ridiculous. Image if you where, lets say in third grade. Your teacher doesn't come to class. They send a substitute teacher that only speaks broken English. How do you think the day went? You think they left church know that Jesus loves them and we should follow his example. I think I'm still raw from the experience to have learned the lesson in this one. Suggestions are welcome.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emily...I think these issues with Primary are universal. Every week, we shake our heads, wondering who thinks it is okay to just "ditch" their callings and not show up. Thank goodness there are people like you in Wards across this world that fulfull their callings even if everyone else does not. You will be blessed for being dedicated and dependable! My struggle is trying not to get REALLY angry at the sisters that bail out on these precious little ones. My husband is much more loving and patient, reminding me that we are all at different "levels" in the gospel. Just be sure to teach your own children (which I am sure you do) that they MUST fulfill every calling 100% if they are going to accept it. They learn this from your example I'm sure!

Linda said...

Em I am so sorry. What an awful day. You really are wonderful. I hope next Sunday goes better. When will you be in Washington?

Anonymous said...

Wow Em- all I can say is ouch. I would say I feel your pain, but I have absoulutly no idea what it would feel like to have to "wing"--in a foreign language--for 2 HOURS. That right there is my worst nightmare. Take a hot bath and let off some steam.

Dixie said...

Wow. Sounds like an exciting day. Has Dan ever mentioned what they did in Chile? Just ask the missionaries to teach!! Josh has some good stories about that, including one where they ticked off the bishop because they refused to be in charge of the ward activity (they were told when they got there & no one had prepared).

Next time, beg the moms to help out, or the youth (do you have any?)...of just sing songs...lots & lots of songs!

My suggestions are lame. I bet you did a really good job Em. Keep up the good work!