My Dad when he rode the Seattle to Portland Road Race
I had just wished my Dad a Happy Father's Day on the phone and I started to think of some of the things I have learned from him. Here are just a few life lessons.
1. Never order something in a restaurant what you can eat at home.
2. Try something new - what will it hurt, the day will go by anyway and you might learn something.
3. It's ok to see life a little differently than the rest of the world, you might even laugh.
4. Think before you speak, the lips, tongue, and cheek all need to work together when you speak.
5. Doing things for others matters.
6. Spend time doing what you love to do, even if it means a 60 year old man in spandex, and a wig.
7. There is value in hard work and responsibility.
8. I learned how to keep a beat and count to four. It is surprisingly harder than it appears.
9. Don't mess with the Mother.
10. Peanut M&M's and Pepsi are to be consumed after the kids go to bed.
11. Get an education.
12. Violas are not bigger instruments, the players heads are just smaller.
13. Be on time or all the parking will be gone.
14. There are such things as dumb questions but who cares, ask anyway.
15. Attitude is everything!
I remember having a loving, peaceful, and, happy childhood. As a kid sometimes I didn't learn the lessons "in the moment", but eventually the lessons do get learned. I have often asked forgiveness for my teenage drama. As I am slowly approaching those fun times with my own kids, I will look to the example of my own parents and pray that when my kids are grow they to will think they had a great childhood and will always want to come home. So Dad, thanks for all the lessons.
3 comments:
What a neat tribute to your dad. You have such wonderful parents!!
Pretty fun Emily. I take full part in the rule that m&m's and pepsi are consumed after kids are in bed. I totally follow that one. Its funny that the sound a can makes when you open it and the fizz right after when its dark out and the house is quiet, is really nostalgic for me.
right on!
I had to give a talk in church and told everyone that I am just like my Dad. I talk like him and sound like him. I have the same mannerisms and look like him. I don't think that is a bad think. Unfortunately for my wife I also know what i am going to look like in 30 years.
BTW the parking one is completely true.
Post a Comment