Wednesday, March 17, 2010

My latest preoccupation

Dan's contract for the job in Cartagena ends in August. First of all, where did the time go? Now begins the adventure of moving back to the states. The first order of business is where do we move to? We don't get to choose where we live, but we do get a bit of a say. If you where given a choice of all the cities in the U.S., where would you choose? How would you make your decision? On what factors would you base your selection? Would it be an easy choice or a struggle?

Some things to consider: What’s the cost of living (Midwest is very favorable, either Coast- not so much California and New York are out of the question), How are the schools , what does the community have for families to do(what can we do with our spare time) Closeness to family (Washington is the easy choice), Beauty (that depends on what you call beauty. Dan and I don't always agree on that one), Proximity to a Temple (Anything closer then a plane trip would be an improvement), A place that has the type of recreation you enjoy, A climate you can live with (Michigan and Louisiana are out). Do you try something completely new and go for the adventure (Alaska) or stick with what's familiar. Does one place have it all or do you have to compromise on some things? Does the place you want to go have an opening? Has anyone else put in for the same spot you want to go? Who do you know that can help you get where you want to go(all in whom you know or creating your own luck)?

In February Dan submitted a list of 7 offices. Ultimately the closeness to family won out and most of the offices he listed where close to family. The big cheeses in those seven offices will start asking around about Dan and look into his work history. If they have an open spot and decide they want him (and why would they not) they send his name back to the wizard behind the curtain pulling all the strings. Ultimately the career board decides where we go. We are hoping to hear something by the end of April. Some have waited as long as 6 months and others have heard in a month where they are going. It's hard not obsessing about these kind of things, I have a lot of free time, too much time. I’ve read 5 novels in the last week as a means of distraction.

4 comments:

Linda said...

I am hoping you move close to us. Is that selfish. Sorry, but I would love it. Wow, 5 novles in one week. I can give you some things to do if you need it. Love ya! Hope you get what you want

Anonymous said...

Emily, where do you get all this free time?! Boy, that's not the life here in the states. I suggest you keep doing what your doing. :) Liz Nelson

Lisa said...

I have way too much free time in Alaska too. I've been doing a lot of sewing in the wintertime and I've also started a rag rug.

adaves said...

Emily, bring the maid with you, wherever you go.