Monday, October 26, 2009

The Great Pumpkin


I Found a Pumpkin!
Pumpkins are a rare find in the Carribean. Not wanting to kill our good old American roots, we made papermache pumpkins our first year we were in Cartagena. It was fun but not the same as the pumpkin patch. The next year I heard a rumor of pumpkins found in the grocery store but never saw it with my own eyes. Last year I never heard of nor saw the elusive pumpkin. But this year I was in the grocery store and saw 7 pumpkins. I properly investigated each one and found my perfect pumpkin. Be it in the grocery store or pumpkin patch, the perfect one must speak to me. Truth be told they were a little scary looking, but desperate times call for desperate measures. I could have cleaned the whole store out with my family requirement of 6 pumkins but chose to leave some and quickly called my network of gal pals and told them to come quickly. My pumpkin was marked with a number seven. As I'm paying for my pumpkin it is as if time stopped still. 2 checkers and 3 baggers all took notice of my number 7 pumpkin. I thought I might have won the lotto. Kind of like "Congratulations you are our 1000th customer!! But no such luck. They just wanted to see my pumpkin. I don't know why it had a 7. It's a mystery.
This is also my first successful rolled sugar cookie experience. The key for me was parchment paper. This might be old news for you guys but for me it was an epiphany. I've had many disasterous attempts at making these cookies with the dough being way too soft and impossible to cut out and place on the cookie sheet without loosing the shape. Then once cooked, I can't get them off without turning into crumbs. This year I followed an allrecipe.com sugar cookie recipe and read tips from reviewers.
1.Roll the super cold dough on to parchment paper and just remove excess dough. Never touch the cookie
2.Transfer the paper right to the cookie sheet. The cookies come right off with no breakage and you can use the paper over again.
It was a miracle. It worked and I hardly used any extra flour. The best sugar cookies ever!!
One Point for cooking disaster(see a previous posting) and One Point for cooking success. The dream lives on....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pure genious, I would have never though of those tips. Im so glad there are good cooks out there to help the rest of us along. They look so cute.

That is one good lookin' pumpkin too. I think dad taught us that pumpkins and Christmas trees must speak to us, or they are not worth purchasing, you must inspect each objectively and from every angle, sometimes coming back to the same one after looking at every option. Its a good thing there were only 7 to choose from.